Sunday, July 4, 2010

Arthur Akina



Thanks to Mo, some of us had dinner with Arthur Akina when he was in town from Las Vegas.  He brought us up to date on what he has been doing these past 49 years.  I took video of  what he said and posted it on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzE9iDbfpV4

Mo gave a Hawaiian chant to start the program, then each of us went around the table and brought Arthur up to date as to what we were doing.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Jg9p4YNjbc  As it turns out, some of us didn't know what everyone else has been doing.

Unfortunately, being an amateur, I didn't bring a spare memory stick and ran out of memory.  So I didn't get all of Campbell, or any of Norman Tyau, Jim Miyashiro and Tommy Wong (fka Chun).  I also placed the camera too low on the table and missed mine completely.  If you want to see the others click:


I had to break the videos up into four because the limit on YouTube is 10 minutes.

I don't recall what they said exactly, but Campbell is still working for a telephone company, Norman spends most of his time in Thailand hunting and shopping, Jim is totally retired as a VA pharmasist now spending time watching his grand kids and Tommy is semi-retired, working parttime in a doctor's office (his brother's) and for a non-profit.  After 25 years with the U.S. Department of Justice, I retired from the U.S. Attorney's Office in 2004.

There are also pictures which Tsuda and I shot.  You can see them by clicking on the slide show on the right column.

1 comment:

Elliott Lum said...

The videos are great for those of us who couldn't be there. I didn't realize that Akina had such an exciting, worldly life. Can't imagine how Mo remembered all of the words to his Hawaiian chant. Glad to hear that Eric Yamamoto will be a grandfather -- something I may never achieve.