Tuesday, June 30, 2009

A Random Act of Kindness

I was jogging/shuffling along the Ala Wai Canal not too long ago and a young pre-schooler supervised by her mother was throwing pieces of bread into the water to feed the talapia. About 50 talapia would converge on the bread in a semi- frenzy.

However, watching it from the bank was a Hawaiian waterbird with stilt legs and a long beak. I've never seen this type of bird here before along the canal and suspected that it was from the zoo located about a quarter of a mile away.

When the fish converged on the bread, the waterbird swooped in and grabbed one of them. It then dropped the talapia on the bank (it was low tide) and attempted to eat it. The fish started flopping frantically. After a moment, the waterbird abandoned it and went to hunt for another one. The kid was still throwing bread as the waterbird seized another fish and flew away.

Meanwhile the fish on the bank continued to flop around and since the waterbird was nowhere in sight, I climbed down the side of the canal onto the bank and threw the fish back into the water.

I've never seen one happier fish. It swam with all cylinders pumping and with fins flapping and sped away. Definitely a happy fish with a new lease of life. I felt pretty good about myself as I continued on with my shuffle.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey there iolani1961.blogspot.com admin found your site via search engine but it was hard to find and I see you could have more visitors because there are not so many comments yet. I have found website which offer to dramatically increase traffic to your blog http://traffic-for-your-website.com they claim they managed to get close to 4000 visitors/day using their services you could also get lot more targeted traffic from search engines as you have now. I used their services and got significantly more visitors to my website. Hope this helps :) They offer most cost effective services to increase website traffic at this website http://traffic-for-your-website.com
To your success James